The St. Petersburg College Model UN team participated in the Florida Model United Nations Conference in Gainesville on Oct. 21-22. The conference allowed for students at Florida colleges and universities to discuss global issues and propose solutions to those issues. All but one of the SPC team was new to Model United Nations. The group discussed issues such as:
- Implementing International Year of the Pulses (IYP) 2016
- Protecting Women and Minorities in Armed Conflict: The Case of Yazidis in Iraq
- Achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Combating Zika and Other Mosquito Viruses
- Drugs and International Terrorism: Breaking the Links
- Increasing Support Systems for Women in Agriculture
The group won the following awards:
- The delegates representing Poland received Distinguished Delegation Award.
- The delegates representing Japan received Honorable Delegation Award.
- Maura Salac, representing Poland, received Outstanding Position Paper Award.
On Thursday, November 10, a team of 10 students will travel to Washington, DC, to participate in National Model United Nations Conference. The team will represent the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.