Hundreds attended the New Ideas Conference, with honorary host and moderator Congressman David Jolly, on March 27 at SPC’s Seminole Campus.
The event brought together national, state and local leaders who discussed and offered innovative solutions to some of the most pressing policy issues facing the United States and Pinellas County. The daylong event featured panel discussions on the topics of education, budget reform, energy and the environment, and transportation.
The conference was such a success that organizers hope to make it an annual event. The conference was presented by SPC’s Institute for Strategic Policy Solutions (ISPS), and sponsored by the Tampa Bay Times, Bright House Networks and Boston Capital Leasing.
- State Sen. John Legg, chairman of the K-12 state Senate Education committee
- Dr. Michael Grego, Superintendent of Pinellas County Schools
- Tonette Salazar, State Relations Director of the Education Commission of the States
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin, president of the American Action Forum and former Director of the Congressional Budget Office
- Dr. Joshua Gordon, Policy Director of the Concord Coalition
- Former Congressman Jim Davis, former member of the House Budget Committee
Energy and environment
- Former South Carolina Congressman Bob Inglis, who launched the Energy and Enterprise Initiative
- Susan Glickman, Florida Director of Southern Alliance for Clean Energy
- Buck Martinez, Senior Director of the Office of Clean Energy at Florida Power and Light
- State Rep. Dwight Dudley
- Jim Boxold, Florida Secretary of Transportation
- State Senator Jeff Brandes, R-St. Petersburg
- Pinellas County Commissioner Ken Welch