Hurricane season begins June 1 and continues through Nov. 30. Now is the time to review your plans and know where to find the latest updates from St. Petersburg College if a storm threatens.
SPC officials closely monitor Pinellas County Emergency Management bulletins and official weather forecasts when SPC falls within the National Hurricane Center’s zone of landfall probability. The college activates its Emergency Management Plan, which alert systems, communications methods and proactive actions, if a storm threatens.
- SPC employees should check with their supervisor for SPC’s emergency procedures for their department.
- Bookmark the SPC Emergency Preparedness page on your computer. This is where alerts and updates will be posted as a storm nears.
- Add the emergency hotline number, 866-822-3978, to your phone or address book. Alerts and updates are recorded there.
- Read the Emergency Response procedures for weather emergencies.
- Update your personal Emergency Cell and Text Options in MySPC to be sure you receive official college communications during storms.
- Install the Hurricane Web application to your mobile device for quick emergency information at your fingertips. See the mobile web app installation instructions.
Communicating in an emergency
When an emergency poses a potential threat to life and safety, the college will broadcast emergency notifications to students, faculty and staff. The college’s main website at www.spcollege.edu is the official source of college information regarding the status of the institution. Officials will also use the SPC Emergency Preparedness page for emergency communications.
In an emergency, the college calls your home phone number on file first. To choose to be contacted on your cell phone or through text messages during emergencies, log in to MySPC and look for My Personal Information. One of the menu options will be Emergency Notification. Enter your cell phone number, confirm whether you want to receive text messages and click save.
You also can opt-in or opt-out of the text system by texting any of the following messages to 68453: subscribe, opt-in or yes. To opt-out, simply send a text to the same number and indicate stop, quit or unsubscribe.
In the event that college facilities have been closed, campuses will reopen only after the college damage assessment and recovery teams have surveyed the damage and re-powered critical systems.
Information regarding re-openings will be provided:
- on the Emergency Preparedness page
- the college toll-free number 866-822-3978
- through SPC e-mail
- local media outlets