Terry Byrd was named Board Member Emeritus by the Clearwater Housing Authority Board of Commissioners, who treated him to a surprise farewell luncheon on July 13 to thank him for his years of service.
Byrd, who serves as Program Director – In Service for the Southeastern Public Safety Institute at the Allstate Center, had been reappointed as Vice Chair of the CHA board every four years since 1995. He originally was appointed by Rita Garvey, former mayor of Clearwater, with the approval of St. Petersburg Junior College.
During his time on the board, he played a role in many of the organization’s accomplishments, some of which include:
- Assisting in the sale of CHA’s central office to the city of Largo to assist in a pond-park project
- purchasing and renovating a new central office site with additional room for development
- Creating the Economies of Scale program to work with other housing agencies in the county
- Establishing a Financial Management and Compliance Center
- Making all of CHA’s records digitalized
- Administering a $10 million Shelter Plus Care program from Housing and Urban Development, which provides transitional housing and supportive services
Byrd, who joined SPJC in 1991, also attended the college and played on the baseketball team from 1967-69.