The St. Petersburg College Board of Trustees met Tuesday, April 16, at the EpiCenter.
Meeting highlights included:
- The board began again on the process to choose a construction manager for the new Midtown Campus. In February, the board awarded the contract for the project but, following a protest by another company, discovered a flaw in the procedure. Rather than risk a protracted delay, the board will go through the selection process again with amended procedures.
“We find ourselves today where I think we can overcome our past difficulties, learn from some mistakes we made along the way, get the project back on track and move forward,” President Bill Law said.
Board chairman Deveron Gibbons called the new Midtown Campus “the biggest economic impact to hit this community in over 50 years…and we want to do it right.”
The board expects to have a new recommendation in about 60 days. Watch this portion of the meeting video starting at 0:28:39.
The Tampa Bay Times reported on the problem April 17.
- Approved the Classification and Compensation study as it relates to administrative and professional employees. Watch that portion of the meeting video starting at 0:47:40.
- Basketball player Lynae Richardson, winner of the Sandy Miller Scholar-Athlete Award
- Women’s basketball coach Denisha Davidson, 2012-13 Southern Conference Coach of the Year
- The Model United Nations students, faculty and staff who competed in New York City last month and placed among the top in the country
- The team from the J.E. Hanger College of Orthotics and Prosthetics at SPC who participated in Wounded Warrior Kilimanjaro Research Expedition
Watch this part of the meeting beginning at the 0:02:32.
- Dr. Anne Cooper and Dr. Tonjua Williams presented information about the Survey of Entering Student Engagement, which shows how the college is doing in comparison to 245 other institutions. Watch this part of the meeting beginning at 0:48:48.
- Emergency Management Coordinator Bill Grey gave a presentation on the college’s Campus Safety and Security preparations. Watch this part of the meeting beginning at 1:02:36.
- Dr. Doug Duncan gave a preliminary look at the budget for 2013-14, which the board will discuss at its May meeting. Watch this part of the meeting at 1:24:11.
The next Board of Trustees meeting is at 8:30 a.m. May 21 at the Clearwater Campus.